- Recognize sets of one to five objects without counting
- Learn or reinforce number names and numerals
- Count from 1 to 5
- Understand that numbers can be represented by objects
- Compare sets of one to five objects, and identify if the sets are the same or different
- Understand that the number of objects in a set is not affected by their arrangement
- a lot
- how many
- less than
- more than
- not enough
- number names
- one less
- same amount
- same number
- too many
Math Talk Strategies
- Introduce and model the use of math talk and vocabulary.
- Ask open-ended questions about math activities. Ask children to share their ideas and provide explanations.
- Ask children to listen carefully to one another and to respond to each others' ideas.
- Engage children in relevant and meaningful math conversations through play.
- Establish math-related classroom routines, physical cues, and rules of the community.